Calculate Your Exact Body Mass Index (BMI) with this Standard BMI Calculator Here.
I am pretty sure that you would like the experience of calculating your BMI with this calculator.
Now, let’s discuss about this standard Body Mass Index Calculator in detail.
About Our Standard BMI Calculator
This Standard BMI (Body Mass Index) Calculator is based on the WHO (World Health Organization) data. It provides the exact BMI data which is very much useful for adult males and females.
You can measure your body mass index with a US (imperial) unit as well as a metric unit.
This BMI calculator also provides the healthy range of weight that is needed for the ideal BMI values for your current height.
This BMI calculator is for informational purposes only. Consult your doctor before making health decisions.
BMI is an indirect assessment of health risk and may not be accurate because it cannot determine the proportion or distribution of body fat.
How do We Find The Ideal Weight Range for Normal BMI (Body Mass Index)?
To find a healthy weight range in accordance with BMI, we use the ideal range of BMI and your height.
The steps to find the ideal weight range is given below.
- The ideal range of your BMI is 18.5-24.9.
- Then we use the value of your height in meters
- (18.5-24.9)*(your height in meters)*(your height in meters)
- For example, if your height is 1.79 meters.
- The answer is (59- 79) kg.
- Therefore, your ideal weight lies in the range of 59-79 kg.
Now, we will learn about the Body Mass Index in detail.
What is Body Mass Index (BMI)?
BMI is the short form of Body Mass Index.
Basically, it is the ratio of the weight of the body in kilograms and the square of the height of the body in meters.
It measures body fat.
It is a screening tool that gives the basic idea of whether a person is underweight, has a normal healthy weight, has excess weight, or is suffering from obesity.
If the BMI of any person is outside the normal range then that person is at higher risk to suffer from different diseases that are associated with his/her categories (i.e, underweight/obesity).
BMI was formerly known as the Quetelet index.
What is The Standard Formula for Finding Body Mass Index (BMI)?
1) For Metric systems,
BMI = Weight of Your Body (kg)/ [height (in meter) * height (in meter)]
2) For Standard systems,
BMI = Your Weight in Pounds*703/ [height (in inches) * height (in inches)]
Standard Categories as per BMI Ranges
The result of BMI value has been divided into four categories.
- If the BMI value is under 18.5 then that person is categorized as “underweight”
- If the BMI value is between 18.5-24.9 then that person is categorized as “normal weight”
- If the BMI value is between 25-29.9 then that person is categorized as “overweight”
- If the BMI value is between 30-39.9 then that person is categorized as “obese”
- If the BMI value is greater than 40 then that person is said to suffer from extreme obesity.
Now let’s talk about the benefits of calculating your Body Mass Index and its limitations.
What Are The Advantages of Calculating BMI?
- BMI can help to measure the obesity rate in people. Observing the changes in BMI values helps doctors and health experts evaluate the obesity levels in the person over time.
- The BMI data of the mass population can also give an idea about the obesity epidemic.
- It also helps medical experts and scientists understand the eating habits of people.
- Doctors can also predict the diseases from which a particular person can suffer.
What Are The Limitations of BMI?
Despite having so much of benefits, BMI has certain limitations. Some of the limitations have been given below.
- BMI can’t locate the position of the fat in the body.
- It also can’t give information about the source of the weight. Because many people can have more weight due to higher bone density or due to lean muscles. So, BMI can’t tell about the source of weight.
- If you have low bone density or fewer mean muscles then your BMI can be normal due to the presence of fat. In such cases, the BMI value gives the wrong indication.
- It also doesn’t give any idea about the types of fat whether it is subcutaneous or visceral.
Therefore, many times BMI has not been considered a good indicator to measure someone’s health. But still, it can be used to reveal many things about a person’s health.
Now, it is time to discuss the health risk associated with obesity and being underweight.
What Are The Health Risk Associated with Obesity?
Obesity is one of the health issues being faced by the top countries. In the USA, the majority of people are suffering from obesity and extreme obesity.
If your BMI is more than 30 then you are said to be obese in medical terms.
Obesity is the major reason for different diseases.
Here are some of the risks associated with obesity mentioned.
- Obese people generally tend to suffer from cardiovascular problems
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol in the blood
- Type 2 diabetes
- High obesity lowers the high-density lipoprotein which is also known as good cholesterol
- Coronary heart disease
- Sleep apnea
- Respiratory problems
- Obese people also tend to suffer from endometrial, breast, and colon cancer
The list of problems that obese men can suffer from is quite long.
There is a proverb in English, “Prevention is Better Than Cure” and knowing BMI value helps us in the prevention of any disease.
So if you are in the range of obese or extremely obese then the time has come to transform yourself.
What Are the Health Risk Associated with Being Underweight?
When your BMI is 18.5 then you are said to be underweight.
If you think that only obese people are at risk of suffering from many diseases then you are wrong.
No, it is not like that.
Underweight people can also suffer from various diseases. I mentioned above that the majority of the people who are suffering from obesity are from top countries.
But the majority of people who are underweight are from poor countries.
This is too bad because top countries can take many steps to save their people from obesity but poor countries can’t even feed their people.
(Related: How to Increase Height)
Here are some health risks associated with underweight people mentioned.
- Vitamins and minerals deficiency
- Stunting (low height for that age) and wasting (low weight for that height) in children
- Bone weakness (osteoporosis)
- Reproductive issues
- Disruption in the menstrual cycle
- Underweight women also tend to face the problem of miscarriage
- High mortality rate.
(Related: How to Strengthen the Bones)
There is also a problem with this standard Body Mass Index Calculator that it doesn’t work for teens and children.
Let’s discuss the reason behind it.
Why This Standard BMI Calculator doesn’t Work for Teens and Children?
The above-given BMI calculator can only be useful for adult men and women.
We can’t consider the value of BMI calculated through this BMI calculator for children and teens.
It is because in children and teens BMI values highly depend on age and sex which is not seen in the case of adults.
Girls and boys develop at different rates and their fat levels also tend to vary according to their age.
Therefore, the sex and age of the children and teens are also considered to calculate the BMI values.
Of course, the method of finding BMI is the same but the value of the BMI is then compared with the age and sex.
The Bottom Line
Here, we have provided you with the standard BMI calculator which provides you the exact data of your BMI and also provides the range of your healthy weight.
We have also discussed the additional information about the Body Mass Index.
Though BMI is not a 100% accurate health indicator, it can reveal many things related to your health. So it is always recommended to check your BMI regularly and keep it in the normal range.
The best way to keep BMI in a normal range is through exercise and a healthy diet.
Consuming healthy foods and exercising regularly can prevent you from obesity as well as being underweight.
If you have any questions related to this standard Body Mass Index calculator, you can ask me in the comment box.
Share the link of this standard BMI calculator with your friends so they can also check their BMI precisely.
Thanks For Using Our BMI Calculator…!!!