Welcome to Fitness Deciphers…!!!
This is the complete guide on yoga poses to improve digestion.
Here, we will discuss the most efficient yoga poses that will help you with digestion.
Bad digestion has become a very common problem throughout the world. Generally, it was used to be found in old people but nowadays, teenagers are also suffering from it.
Bad digestion can also cause frequent constipation and if remains untreated for a long time then it can result in chronic constipation.
So it is very important to talk about treating and preventing bad digestion.
Of course, you can visit your doctor about this problem and get some medicines.
But medicines will just treat your body for the current time period. If your body doesn’t get healed from its root then the problem of bad digestion will keep on coming.
And yoga poses can very well help us in that.
There are many yoga poses that can improve your digestion. We will see them one by one.
But before that, let’s understand the symptoms of bad digestion then we will also understand how yoga poses can help us improve digestion.
1. Symptoms of Bad Digestion.
It is very important to discuss the symptoms of bad digestion because if you know the symptoms, you can check whether you are suffering from bad digestion or not.
Because many times it happens that people can’t recognize their bad digestion for a long time and their problems get increased a lot.
So, before discussing the yoga poses to improve digestion, we will discuss the symptoms of bad digestion.
1) Bad Body Odor
If your body releases an odor that can’t be handled by the nearby person then there is a chance that you are suffering from poor digestion.
Generally, body odor is determined by genetics. But when you suffer from poor digestion, it can make your body odor bad.
Due to poor digestion, the toxins can’t come out from the body. And the toxins that can’t come out from the body, mix up with blood and make yourself release a bad odor.
2) Bad Breath
Bad breath can be an indication that you are suffering from poor digestion.
No matter how many times you brush your teeth, if your digestion is poor then the problem of bad breath will remain as it is.
3) Frequent Constipation
If you are suffering from constipation frequently then it is an indication that your digestion system is not working properly.
Since constipation is directly related to poor digestion, you can confirm poor digestion if you get constipated frequently.
- Home Remedies to Get Rid of Constipation
- Foods to eat while constipated
- Foods to avoid during constipation
Just like constipation, diarrhea can also be one of the symptoms of poor digestion.
It is because your large intestine (colon) can’t absorb the proper amount of water from the food and your stool remains in liquid form.
5) Hair fall problem
Poor digestion also weakens the hair and you may face the hair fall problem. So hair fall can also be an indication that you have digestion issues.
It is because due to poor digestion, your hairs don’t get enough nutrients and you start facing graying of hair, thinning of hair, etc.
Since your digestive system is not working properly, your body can’t absorb sufficient nutrition from the foods.
So no matter how much your food is loaded with nutrients but if your body can’t digest it, you may suffer from malnutrition.
7) Other common symptoms of poor digestion
- Stomach discomfort
- Food cravings
- Fluctuations in weight
Now, we will discuss the Yoga poses to improve digestion.
2. How Does Yoga Poses Help to Improve Digestion?
When certain types of yoga poses are practiced, the organs associated with digestion get compressed and stretched which causes those organs to release digestive enzymes and juices.
Yoga poses also massage the organs related to digestion in a systematic way which stimulates the digestive organs to work more efficiently.
The breathing exercise which we practice during the poses also makes us breathe more oxygen. This oxygen is sent deep into the cells so that your body absorbs more nutrients.
Yoga also calms your mind and provides you with immense relaxation and peace.
The relaxation of the mind is very important because if your mind is not calm then due to the psychosomatic process, your body will start suffering from diseases like indigestion, constipation, diarrhea, etc.
3. Yoga Poses to Improve Digestion.
Now, we will discuss the yoga poses that can help us with digestion problems.
1) Half Lord of the Fish Pose (Ardha Matsyendrasana)
This yoga pose is also known as a twisted seat pose.
1. Method to perform Half lord of the fish pose:
- Sit cross-legged on the yoga mat.
- Place your right hand on your left knee and slowly twist your torso to the left.
- Twist the body from the base of the spine to your shoulders.
- Take care of your lower back while twisting.
- Keep your left hand placed on the yoga mat, behind your hips.
- Get back to the original position and repeat the same pose for another side.
2. Benefits for digestive health:
Half Lord of the Fish pose regulates the digestive system which results in improved digestion. It is also useful in constipation.
It eases the symptoms of constipation.
- Perform every step slowly and smoothly
- Exhale when you twist and inhale when you untwist
- When you find your balance, breathe normally
- Also, keep both your shoulders relaxed
4. Who should not do the half lord of the fish pose (twisted seat pose)
- When someone is suffering from a hernia or peptic ulcer
- If anyone has undergone brain, heart, or abdominal surgery
- If you are pregnant or menstruating
- The person with severe back pain should avoid this pose
Twisting to the right first and then the left will increase the movement of the bowels which is useful for hypo-digestion.
Twisting to the left first and then to right will slow down the movement of the bowels which is useful for hyper-digestion.
2) The Cat-Cow Pose (Chakravakrasana)
This pose directly targets the spine and abdomen. Practicing this pose regularly can definitely improve digestion.
1. Method to perform the cat-cow pose
- Stand using both hands and legs.
- Keep both arms perpendicular to the floor and both palms flat.
- Keep the distance between your knees as same as the distance between hips.
- Then you have to make two poses alternatively.
- They both are shown in the below image.
Highly beneficial for gut health to improve digestion. Include this pose in your daily exercise routine. This pose also helps in maintaining the health of the spine.
The cat-cow pose is also practiced to relieve stress and anxiety that’s why it also belongs to the list of yoga poses to end alcohol addiction.
3) Seated Side Bends
This yoga pose also directly affects the organs associated with digestion. It is also one of the best yoga poses to improve digestion.
1. Method to perform Seated Side Bends
- From a seated position, extend the right leg and open it out to the right.
- Bend the left knee smoothly and bring the left foot to the inner right thigh.
- Place the right hand on the right leg and turn the torso slowly towards the left knee.
- With the inhalation, extend the left arm up, and with an exhalation arch it over towards the right.
- The beginner should hold this position for 30 seconds and as you gain stamina, you should hold for 2 minutes.
The image of the seated side bends is shown below.
Since this yoga pose directly targets the abdomen, this pose can improve its work function. It provides a soothing massage to all the organs related to digestion.
4) The Camel Pose (Ustrasana)
The camel pose is one of the important yoga poses to improve digestion.
1. Method to perform the camel pose
- Kneel know on the mat and keep both knees and feet together.
- Lean in the backward direction by pushing the hips in the forward direction.
- Bend your head and the spine as backward and farther as possible slowly and smoothly
- Rest your hands on your feet, relax back muscles. Hold the same position for 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
The image of the camel pose yoga is shown below.
It opens up the chest so it is very helpful to treat respiratory diseases. It also stretches the abdominal muscles making them strong.
And of course, the main benefit of this pose is that it improves digestion.
5) Knees to Chest Pose (Apanasana)
Generally, this pose is practiced when you are suffering from bloating. But it can also improve your gut health as well as digestion.
It is a simple-to-practice pose.
The image of the knees to chest pose is shown in the below image.
It stimulates the digestive enzyme and improves digestion. It also helps you to fart in the case of gas.
Many fitness experts also recommend this pose to burn belly fat.
If you really want to improve your digestion then you should practice this yoga pose for 1-2 minutes regularly.
6) Standing Forward Bend (Uttanasana)
It is one of the best yoga poses to improve your digestion. If practiced regularly, it can definitely boost your digestion power.
The benefit of this pose is that it stimulates the liver and enhances its work function so eventually, our digestive power also gets increased.
1. Method to Perform Standing Forward Bend
- Stand straight on the yoga mat.
- Bend both of your knees slightly and fold your torso over your legs.
- Put both your palm beside your foot such that they remain flat.
- Inhale a breath to extend your chest to stretch your spine.
2. Benefits of Standing Forward Bend
- Improves digestion
- Improves hair growth
- Improves spine health
- It is a perfect stretching exercise after a tough leg day
The image for the standing forward bend is shown in the below image.
7) Triangle Pose (Trikonasana)
This is another gem pose for digestion improvement.
The image of the triangle pose is shown below.
1. Benefits of Triangle Pose
- Improves Digestion
- Improves blood circulation
- Beneficial for neck pain, osteoporosis, and flat feet
- Reduces thigh and waist fat
8) The Thunderbolt Pose/Diamond Pose (Vajrasana)
It is the only pose that is recommended to be performed just after having a meal. It is extremely good for digestion.
Just seat in this pose for 10-15 minutes to improve digestion.
The image of the thunderbolt pose is shown below.
9) Easy Pose (Sukhasana)
If you have ever seen the traditional Indian family then you must have noticed that they sit on the floor to eat. It is just a yoga pose called the easy pose or sukhasana.
When you eat in this pose, you have to bend your back to eat which stimulates the abdominal muscles and it results in improved digestion.
That’s why the Indian style of eating foods emphasizes eating in sukhasana pose on the floor.
10) Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
It also tends to stimulate the abdominal muscles.
The pose is shown in the below image.
11) Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
Improved digestion is one of the benefits of the bow pose.
The bow pose is shown in the below image.
These are the 11 best yoga poses that help you enhance your digestive power.
Here, I would like to complete our discussion.
Let me answer the most common questions.
1) Does yoga help in digestion improvement?
Yes, there are certain yoga poses that can help you improve digestion if practiced regularly.
2) Are there more poses than these 11 poses which can improve digestion?
Yes, these 11 poses are screened from the vast list because these are the best at digestion improvement.
3) How much time should I spare for these poses?
You can give 30 seconds to 2 minutes to each pose. It all depends on your stamina and fitness level.
4) How much time do yoga poses take to improve digestion?
Well, you may see the changes from the very next day but you should expect 7-10 days to see any visible change.
Here, we have discussed the yoga poses to improve digestion.
Having good digestion is very important when it comes to the overall health of the body. Due to our lifestyle, our digestive power has become very weak.
Do you know, having poor digestion can cause the diseases like esophagus spasms, indigestion, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, stomach ulcers, celiacs disease, irritable bowel syndrome, etc.
Ancient Indians very well understood the importance of good digestive power. So they developed certain yoga poses that have the positive effect of digestive power.
Try to include these yoga poses in your regular exercise routine to improve poor digestion and maintain good gut health.
If you like this article, let me know in the comment box and also kindly share it with your friends.
Thanks for Reading…!!!