Welcome to Fitness Deciphers…!!!
This article has the full information on “Health Benefits of Jackfruit, Its Seeds & Leaves”.
Here, we will discuss the benefits of eating both raw and ripe jackfruit.
We will also discuss the health benefits of jackfruit seeds and leaves and the nutritional component present in the jackfruit, its seeds, and its leaves.
1. About Jackfruit
Jackfruit is the largest tree fruit in the world.
Jackfruit trees (also called Jack trees) are generally found in the region between the Western Ghats of south India.
Jackfruits are also grown in the countries like Bangladesh, Thailand, Australia, etc.
Both ripe and unripe jackfruits are consumed and are beneficial for health.
Raw jackfruit has a mild taste and meat-like texture that’s why it is also used to produce “vegan meat” whereas ripe one is sweet in taste.
This largest tree fruit has a great nutritional value. It is generally considered a seasonal or nonseasonal fruit depending upon the country.
In the western countries where jackfruit is generally not grown, it is available in the canned form.
The seeds of jackfruit can also be consumed and they are also high in nutrition.
Jackfruit leaves are also beneficial. Many people consume the tea made up of jackfruit leaves.
Here, we will discuss the advantages of eating jackfruit, its seeds, & leaves.
Let’s first start with the health benefits of raw jackfruit.
2. Health Benefits of Raw Jackfruit
Here, we will discuss the health benefits of eating raw jackfruit.
1) Raw Jackfruit Can be Used to Lose Weight
Raw jackfruit is extremely low in calories and almost zero in fat.
It also provides you with a high content of water and dietary fiber. It is also very low in carbs.
Consuming raw jackfruit keeps your stomach full for a longer period and lowers your hunger.
That’s why it is also considered best for weight loss purposes.
2) Raw Jackfruit Improves Digestion
Raw jackfruit is richer in dietary fiber than its ripe version.
The dietary fiber present in the unripe jackfruit can help you improve your digestion.
Dietary fiber also improves the bowel movement which results in the cleaning of the intestines.
So your chance of suffering from colon cancer gets reduced a lot.
3) Unripe Jackfruit Can Help You With Diabetes
Raw jackfruit is low in glycaemic index. That’s why it doesn’t increase blood sugar levels after its consumption.
So jackfruit is the best alternative for any other food with a high glycaemic index in your diet.
If you are taking any medicines then it is better to get advice from your doctor before changing any diet.
4) It is a Good Source of Protein
Raw jackfruit provides you more protein than its ripe version.
100 grams of raw jackfruit can provide you with 2.0-2.6 grams of protein.
You may think that this amount of protein is lower than the eggs but if we consider fat and carbs, raw jackfruit is better.
5) It Keeps Our Immunity Strong
As unripe jackfruit is high in vitamin C, its consumption can boost our immune power.
Vitamin C is necessary for the production of collagen which can improve your skin health and make you look younger at an older age.
6) It may Improve Bone Health
Raw jackfruit is a rich source of calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin C. These nutrients are necessary to improve bone health.
So, there is a chance that it can improve your bone health.
7) The Other Benefits of Raw Jackfruit
- Due to the presence of soluble fiber, it can reduce the bad cholesterol
- It also has anti-inflammatory properties which help you stay away from arthritis and stomach diseases.
- It is also a good source of iron which makes it one of the foods to increase hemoglobin levels.
3. Nutritional Information of Raw Jack Fruit
Here, the raw jackfruit nutritional information is per 100 grams of the edible portion of raw jackfruit
|Dietary fiber (g)||2.6-3.6|
|Vitamin A (IU)||30|
|Vitamin C (mg)||12.0-14.0|
4. Health Benefits of Ripe Jackfruit
Here, we will discuss the advantages of eating ripe jackfruit.
1) Ripe Jackfruit has lots of ‘Anti’ Properties
Ripe jackfruit is loaded with compounds that show antibacterial, antifungal, antidiabetic, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties.
Jackfruit contains phytonutrients such as lignans, isoflavones, and saponins.
These compounds have anticancer, antihypertensive, antiulcer, and antiaging properties.
They stop the formation of cancer cells in the body. These compounds also fight against stomach ulcers.
Jackfruit flesh contains compounds that can be used to treat or prevent lymphoma cancer.
That’s why if you include jackfruit in your diet, the chances of getting sick get drastically reduced.
2) Good for Blood Pressure & Heart Problems
Ripe jackfruit is very rich in potassium which lowers the blood pressure and reverses the effects of sodium that causes a rise in blood pressure.
It can also prevent heart disease, strokes, and bone loss and improves muscle and nerve function.
Vitamin B6 present in jackfruit helps to reduce homocysteine levels in the blood which lowers the risk of many heart diseases.
3) It may Improve Your Skin Health
One of the best health benefits of jackfruit is it can improve your skin health.
Ripe jackfruit is a good source of vitamin C which protects the skin from the damage that occurs due to the natural aging process and excess exposure to the sun.
Vitamin C is also essential for the production of collagen which gives firmness and strength to the skin.
Jackfruit can also slow down the degeneration process of cells which helps you look younger.
It also helps to maintain overall oral health.
(Related: How to Look Young Forever)
4) It is Rich in Iron, Magnesium, and Copper
Jackfruit is rich in magnesium, which improves the absorption of calcium.
It helps strengthen the bones and prevents bone-related disorders such as Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteopetrosis, etc.
(Related: How to Increase Bone Strength)
Ripe jackfruit is also rich in iron which helps to prevent anemia and regulate blood circulation.
Copper present in ripe jackfruit plays an important role in the metabolism of the thyroid gland.
5) It Improves Digestion
Preventing digestion problems is one of the jackfruit health benefits.
As we know that poor digestion is the cause of almost all the diseases in the world, jackfruit can help us with digestion.
Ripe Jackfruit is a good source of both soluble as well as insoluble fiber. If we include it in our diet, it can improve bowel movement.
Jackfruit also protects the intestines by removing carcinogenic chemicals out of the colon (large intestine).
6) Ripe Jackfruit Can Improve The Eyesight
If you go through the nutritional information of ripe jackfruit given in the below table, you will find that jackfruit is very high in vitamin A.
If we intake a sufficient amount of vitamin A, it can improve our eye vision.
Not only improving eye vision but jackfruit can also help us to prevent other eye disorders such as Cataracts, Macular Degeneration, Glaucoma, etc.
7) Ripe Jackfruit Can Cure Sleeping Disorders
The quality of sleep has become very poor in this hectic life schedule. There may be various causes for poor sleep quality.
Jackfruit can help you with this problem.
Sleeping disorders can be cured by eating jackfruit because it is rich in magnesium and iron which improves the overall quality of sleep.
Magnesium can help you prevent anemia which is one of the major causes of insomnia (lack of sleep).
8) It is Best to Cure Fatigue, Stress, and Muscle Weakness
If you include jackfruit in your daily diet, you will never complain about muscle weakness, fatigue, and stress.
It is because jackfruit is a rich source of thiamine and niacin. These both are perfect sources of energy.
5. Nutritional Information of Ripe Jack Fruit
Here, the ripe jackfruit nutritional information is per 100 grams of the edible portion of ripe jackfruit
|Dietary fiber (g)||1.0-1.5|
|Vitamin A (IU)||175-540|
|Vitamin C (mg)||7.0-10.0|
6. Health Benefits of Jackfruit Seeds
Now, we will discuss the health benefits of eating jackfruit seeds.
After knowing the advantages of jackfruit seeds, I am sure that you will never think to throw them away.
1) Jackfruits seeds are diuretic and laxative in nature.
2) It can be used in the treatment of ulcers, prevention of night blindness, and bone loss.
3) There are several studies that show jackfruit seeds are anticancer.
4) They are also anti-inflammatory foods. They boost the immunity of the body and even repair DNA damage.
5) They are rich in antioxidants such as flavonoids, saponins, and phenolics.
6) Jackfruit seeds are also high in dietary fiber which improves bowel movements and keeps you away from constipation.
7) Consuming these seeds can increase the good cholesterol levels in your body.
8) They are high in vitamin A. So they can be beneficial in promoting eye health.
9) They contain a good amount of iron so they can prevent you from anemia.
10) They are rich in vitamin C so they can boost immunity as well as improve skin health.
=> How to Consume Jackfruit Seeds?
There are two popular methods to consume them. The first is to boil them and the second is to roast them.
You should never eat them raw because they contain several anti-nutrients that can harm your body.
1) Boil the seeds of jackfruit for at least 20-30 minutes. Peel off their skin and eat.
2) Roast them in the oven or in a flat pan and enjoy them.
7. Nutritional Information of Jackfruit Seeds
Here, the jackfruit seed nutritional information is per 100 grams.
|Dietary fiber (g)||1.0-1.5|
|Vitamin A (IU)||10-17|
|Vitamin C (mg)||11.0|
8. Health Benefits of Jackfruit Leaves
Jackfruits leaves are never consumed raw.
Generally, they are consumed in the form of green tea made up of jackfruit leaves.
Is it beneficial?
The simple answer is a big YES…!!!
Here, we will discuss the health benefits of jackfruit leaves.
1) It is effective against diabetes as it improves the tolerance of the body for sugar (glucose) in normal as well as type-2 diabetes patients.
2) Jackfruit leaves help us to reduce weight by burning accumulated fat tissues in the abdomen, arms, thighs, etc.
3) If you drink green tea made up of jackfruit leaves, it can detox your body and can also improve your digestive health.
4) As it is high in potassium, it can regulate the blood pressure of the body.
5) It is a good source of calcium therefore it is also beneficial for your bones.
6) It is rich in vitamin A therefore it is good for your eyes.
7) It has also shown anti-aging properties in many studies.
9. Foods to Avoid After Eating Jackfruit
Though jackfruit is very beneficial for your health, if you eat several foods after eating jackfruit, it can harm your health.
It is because the combination of these foods with jackfruit will become incompatible with each other which can cause digestion or skin-related problems.
Here is the list of foods that you should avoid after eating jackfruit.
- Milk (can cause skin-related problems)
- Honey (can increase the sugar level suddenly)
- Okra (can cause white spots on the skin)
Here, we have discussed almost all the health benefits of jackfruit, its seeds, and leaves.
Now, let me answer some commonly asked questions.
1) Is jackfruit beneficial for diabetic people?
jackfruits are safe to be consumed by diabetic patients because the sugar from jackfruit is absorbed slowly which enables the patients to safely consume it while getting all the health benefits of jackfruit.
2) Is jackfruit beneficial in pregnancy?
Yes, ripe and unripe both jackfruit are safe as well as beneficial in pregnancy. You can also eat jackfruit seeds. But you must boil them before eating.
3) Can jackfruit cure cancer?
Several studies show that the compounds found in jackfruit show anti-cancer properties. But it needs more research.
Here, we have discussed the health benefits of jackfruit, its seeds, and leaves.
In several countries, jackfruit is not available all the year.
But if you are fortunate to have it all the year, you should include it in your diet.
If you have any questions related to the health benefits of jackfruit, you can ask me in the comment box.
If you like this article on jackfruit health benefits, share it with your friends.
Thanks for reading…!!!